Friday, August 31, 2012

Gluten Free Cheddar Bay Biscuits!




I have never really been much of a baker, I prefer cooking. I like throwing things together, and seeing what works. You can't really do that with baking. It's more scientific, and precise, and I always seemed to mess something up.

That changed when I was diagnosed with Celiac's. I found out that what I wanted wasn't always available, so I would have to make it myself. That was the case with these cheddar bay biscuits.


I took a couple of shortcuts, using gluten free Bisquick, and Kerrygold garlic and herb butter. They turned out great, they were light and fluffy, and I didn't really notice that they were gluten free, which is always a plus. There are a lot of really bad gluten free options out there.

2 cups Bisquick
1/3 shortening
2/3 cup milk
3 eggs
1 heaping cup shredded cheddar cheese

2 Tablespoons melted butter
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried parsley flakes
Pinch of salt

Makes about 10 biscuits.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add Bisquick to large mixing bowl. Cut shortening into mix, until the pieces are about the size of a pea. Add milk, eggs and cheddar, mixing until a soft dough forms.

Heat butter in a small saucepan, until melted. Add garlic, parsley, and salt, and stir.

Drop spoonfuls of dough mixture onto a cookie sheet. Brush the tops with melted butter mixture.

Bake 13-16, or until the biscuits are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment