Friday, August 31, 2012

Ham and Corn Salad


A couple of months ago I unexpectedly had to make a trip home to my parent's in Dayton, Ohio. The trip came up very suddenly, and left me very little time to prepare. It was also my first long road trip since going gluten-free. I know that the options for food are very limited on the various turnpikes, so David and I decided to pack our own food, instead of stopping at a fast food restaurant. I had less than an hour to pack, so I knew that whatever I was going to make with me needed to come out of my fridge, since I didn't have time to go to the store. That's how this ham and corn salad was born. I had all the ingredients on hand, and it was quick and easy. It turned out to be delicious as well.

While we were on the road we ate it as a dip or tortilla chips, but today I decided to use it as a sandwich, with a GF cheddar bay biscuit as the bread. It is also very good served in lettuce leaf cups.

I buy precooked ham steaks, and cook them at 350 degrees for 15 min, because I like this salad warm. You don't have to heat the steak though, it is also very good served cold!

                                       
1 ham steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 1/2 cups corn kernels.
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste.
Mix all ingredients together in large bowl, and serve!  

No comments:

Post a Comment