Saturday, March 30, 2013

Masa Cakes with Guacamole and Shitake Mushrooms



There is a restaurant I have been to few times which combines Latin American and Asian cuisines. It is an interesting concept, since they do share a lot of the same ingredients. The last time we were there, I ordered arepas topped with Asian BBQ pulled pork. What I got was something completely different, but it wound up being so good that I didn't mind. This is my attempt to recreate this dish,which I did as soon as I possibly could.

1 cup masa
1 cup water
1 package sliced Shitake mushrooms
1 1/2 cups guacamole of your choice
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp (or more depending on your taste) siracha sauce
Cotija cheese
Mexican crema

In a pan, over low heat, sauté mushrooms, garlic and siracha, until mushrooms are tender.

Meanwhile, combine water and masa, blending until dough forms. Heat olive oil in a pan, over medium heat. Using about 1/4 cup of dough, form flat cakes, and fry, until golden brown on both sides.

Remove from heat, and top with guacamole, mushrooms, cotija and Mexican crema..

No comments:

Post a Comment