Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Unrolled Scottish Spring Rolls


Nicholson's is a restaurant in downtown Cincinnati that David and I used to frequent when we were in college. One of the menu items is Scottish spring rolls, and they are delicious. We always ordered them, everytime we ate there, and they are one of the best things I have ever eaten.

I used to know one of the chefs there, and he gave me the recipe as a going away present when I moved to NYC. I was thrilled.

I decided to adapt this into a gluten-free main dish, after finding the recipe online. It needs some work, because I found that I missed the crunch from the spring roll wrappers, but I would definitely make this again! Don't let the strange combination of flavors fool you, it really is wonderful!

1 pack chicken breast cutlets
3 cups shredded red cabbage
I cup shredded carrots
1 1/2 cup diced sweet onions (I used vidalia)
1/4 cup roasted poblano pepper, finely minced
2 oz red curry paste
2 oz water
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

Prepare chicken any way of your choosing. (I topped mine with salt  and pepper, and baked for 20-25 min at 350). Sometimes I poach the chicken, and in the summertime, I grill it.

In a large pot on the stove top, over medium heat, combine all the veggies, and saute, until soft. Add red curry, water and chicken, and cook for an additional 5 min or so to allow flavors to blend.

Remove from heat, and top with cheese, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment