Friday, February 8, 2013

BBQ Pork Tenderloin with Caramelized Onions On Masa Cakes


Yesterday, I had a craving for BBQ pulled pork and corn bread. I am the type of person that when I get a craving, I must have whatever it is immediately, or else. Fortunately for me, I am usually able to make whatever it is when the craving hits. That wasn't the case this time. I didn't have time to properly prepare pulled pork in the short amount of time between work and dinner, and I was too impatient to wait until the weekend, so I decided to improvise.

This dish was not quite the same, but it fulfilled my craving, so that makes it a success in my book!


1 pork tenderloin
1 cup gluten-free BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
1/2 cup sliced onions
2 cloves garlic
1 cup masa
1 1/2 cup water
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 tbsp oil
salt and pepper 

Marinate tenderloin in BBQ for at least an hour prior to cooking. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place BBQ marinated tenderloin in a baking dish, and cook in oven for 30-35 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine masa, water, cheese, salt and pepper, blending until dough forms. 

In a frying pan, heat 2 tbsp oil, until sizzling. Add masa dough, (using about 1/3 of a cup of dough, formed into flat circles) and fry, until both sides are golden, approx 3-4 minutes per side. 

Once tenderloin is cooked, remove from oven and cover tightly with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tbsp oil, and once hot, add onions, and stir continuously until onions are softened, and beginning to brown. 

Slice pork, and place on top of masa cakes, and top with onions, and addition BBQ sauce (optional).

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment