Sunday, November 4, 2012

Beef Ragout



Around Halloween I started to see articles and blog postings of people throwing "Last Dinner on the Titanic" dinner parties. I was intrigued, and quickly learned that there is a cookbook of the same name, which people were using for this spooky, but elegant, dinner idea. I was able to find most of the recipes online, and I have been eager to try them ever since.

The beef ragout was the first recipe I found, and I knew that it would be the perfect, comforting dish for today's cold weather. This was the last meal served to the third class passengers. I didn't follow the original recipe, instead, I adapted it for my crockpot.

1 pack beef chuck tips
2 potatoes, chopped into bite sized pieces
2 carrots, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 strips bacon
1 cup beef broth
1 cup tomato juice (I used tomato sauce, because I had it on hand)
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper
1 jar pickled cabbage

Combine all ingredients (minus cabbage) in crockpot, stirring to blend. Heat over medium heat for for 7-8 hours, until meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with pickled cabbage on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment