Monday, November 26, 2012

Creamy Cauliflower Soup With Turkey and Aged Cheddar


Today, I was at the grocery store, and I overheard a girl having a mini-meltdown in front of the beer. She was upset and overwhelmed, because it was her first trip to the grocery store after being diagnosed with Celiac disease. I laughed to myself for a moment, remembering my first post-diagnosis grocery trip (and the meltdown that ensued), then I introduced myself to her and offered to help her out.

I wound up giving her some beer recommendations and showed her the random corners of the store where there are gluten-free products, and exchanged phone numbers with her in case she needs any more advice, tips, or someone to commiserate with.

(I also made a shameless plug for my blog!)

I always like helping people out, because I know how much that help meant to me when I was first starting my gluten-free diet. I decided to celebrate my good deed with a big bowl of cheesy, creamy cauliflower soup!


1 bag frozen cauliflower
1 1/2 cup diced turkey breast
1 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup diced onions
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1 tbsp finely minced garlic
1 cup aged white cheddar cheese
1 cup milk
2 cups chicken or turkey broth (gluten-free of course!)
3 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp butter
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large stockpot over medium heat, combine cauliflower, onions, carrots, turkey and butter, stirring occasionally until vegetables are softened. Add salt and pepper and garlic.

Meanwhile, combine milk and cornstarch in a separate bowl, stirring until thickened. Add to pot with turkey and vegetables, stirring to blend. Add broth, stirring, until warmed.

Add cheese and parsley, stirring until cheese is melted. Allow to simmer for a few minutes, until soup thickens.

I served mine topped with some Greek yogurt, and some additional cheddar cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment