Sunday, November 25, 2012

Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes


The best part of my Thanksgiving has always been homemade mashed potatoes. I usually make the boxed kind, but those just don't cut it for Thanksgiving dinner. This was my first time making mashed potatoes from scratch, and I was surprised by how easy they were. I mashed them manually, and my arm got a little tired, but it was worth it in the end!

(I made 5 pounds, but I have reduced the recipe to a more manageable serving size)

2 lbs potatoes, diced
1 bulb garlic
1 tsp olive oil
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
4 ounces cream cheese
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste

preheat oven to 400 degrees

Peel back the outer layers of garlic, leaving only the layers on the individual bulbs intact. Slice the tops off each clove. Place in muffin tin, and drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil, Cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake for 30-35 min, until garlic is soft, and browned.

Meanwhile boil potatoes in a large pot. (Make sure potatoes are completely submerged). Boil for 12-15 minutes, until potatoes are soft.

Remove from heat, and drain water. Using either a potato masher, or electric hand mixer, beat, or smash potatoes until they are smooth. Peel garlic, and add to potatoes, and continue to smash, until garlic starts to break apart. There should still be some big chunks of garlic.

Add remaining ingredients, and stir until blended. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment