Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Beef Negimaki with Ginger Sauce


My husband's family loves sushi. Every time they come to NYC they have to go to their favorite sushi place. I am not the biggest fan of sushi, so I would always order the most generic dish on the menu. One day, I noticed negimaki on the menu. The dish is traditionally broiled beef marinated in teriyaki sauce, wrapped around a bundle of green onions. I fell in love with the dish after my first bite.

I have made the traditional version of this dish many times. However, I decided to shake things up this time, and use my new favorite ginger sauce instead of the traditional teriyaki. I am soooo glad it did, because this wound up being better than the original!

2 bundles of green onion, divided into thirds
3 very thinly slices sirloin steaks

For Ginger Sauce
1 1/2 tbsp ginger paste, or 3 tbsp finely chopped ginger
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup gluten-free soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp miso paste
1/2 jalapeno, pepper, finely minced

Set oven to broil.

In a bowl, combine all ingredients for sauce, mixing until well blended. Allow to sit for at least one hour, enabling flavors to mix.

Lay steak flat. Place 1 bundle green onions on the edge, and tightly roll the steak around the onion. Top with ginger sauce, and broil, for approx 4-5 min, until beef is cooked all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment