Monday, October 1, 2012

Mexican Pizza with Cornmeal Crust



A few days ago, I was in the grocery store and I saw a pizza with a cornmeal crust. I got excited, thinking it might be gluten-free, but sadly, the first ingredient was wheat flour. My grocery store doesn't carry any-gluten-free pizza, so I decided that it was time to just start making my own.

I thought that a cornmeal crust sounded amazing, and I thought that Mexican pizza would be even better on it than traditional. It turned out almost exactly as I hoped. I had to add extra sauce, and I would make the crust a little thinner, but other that that it was a keeper!

For crust:
1 3/4 cups cornmeal
2 cups gluten-free flour
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup olive or vegetable oil (I used olive)
1 tsp salt

For sauce:
1 can tomato sauce
2 tsp white vinegar
1 tbsp chili powder

2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
toppings of your choice (I used green onions, sausage, and black olives)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, blend crust ingredients until dough forms.

Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients, until blended.

In a baking dish, mold dough in, making sure to leave extra on the edges to form crust. Add sauce, using mor than you think you will need, because the dough will absorb some. Add cheese and topping, and bake for 25 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment