Sunday, October 14, 2012

Cauliflower Crust Pizza


When I was in high school, my best friend Sherry had this theory about food. She believed that it was okay to eat something bad for you, if you also ate something good for you.  As a result, the good cancels out the bad, and the whole thing doesn't count. When I decided to make this pizza, I immediately thought of her theory, since this pizza is loaded with veggies (the good) and pepperoni and cheese (the bad). 

Pizza has been the one thing so far that I have not found a perfect replacement for. I have tried many different recipes, but nothing is ever quite right. I decided to make cauliflower crust pizza the next recipe on my quest!

(Disclaimer: Sherry didn't actually believe that theory. She just used it to justify her diet!)

1 cup grated cauliflower*
1 cup mozzarella 
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder 
salt and pepper to taste
Pizza topping of your choice (I did half and half for me and my husband, my half had pepperoni, mushrooms, tomatoes, black olives, and garlic, his had pepperoni, basil, and garlic).

*Take one head of cauliflower, and cut it into small, bite sized pieces. Steam, until tender (approx 4-5 min) Remove, and put into a food processor, until finely chopped, or grated. (you can also grate by hand using a cheese grater).

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. 

In a bowl, combine egg, mozzarella, cauliflower, and spices, mixing until blended. Spoon "dough" onto a baking sheet, or pizza pan, forming a thin, evenly blended crust. Bake for 15 min. 

Remove crust from oven, and change oven temperature to broil. 

Add toppings of your choice, and return to oven, for 3-4 min, until cheese is melted. 



No comments:

Post a Comment