Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pork and Lemongrass Meatballs with Carrot Ginger Slaw


A few days ago I had a mini food related melt down. I am still learning to adjust to a completely gluten-free diet, and I had a huge moment of sadness about all the things I cannot eat anymore. I really wanted some dumplings, and crispy spring rolls, but I didn't want to make them, and none of my local Asian restaurants are gluten free. Woe is me...

The next day I decided that I would turn dumpling filling into meatballs, and I was going to try to track down some rice paper rolls, for spring rolls. I never did find them, so I quickly came up with a carrot side dish. This really hit the spot, and took away my self pity!

For Meatballs:
1 package ground pork
1 bundle green onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic
1 stalk lemongrass, or 1 tbsp lemongrass paste
Zest from 1 lemon
2 tbsp Asian fish sauce
2 tbsp corn starch

Dipping Sauce:
1/4 cup gluten-free soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 pinch red pepper flakes

For Carrot Ginger Slaw:
1 small bag shredded carrots
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely minced
1 tbsp soy sauce

Preheat oven to 425.

In a bowl, Combine all ingredients for meatballs. stirring, until mixture is evenly blended. Form meatballs using about 2 tbsp of meat mixture. Place in a baking dish. Bake for 12-16 minutes, flipping meatballs after 6-8 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for dipping sauce, stirring to blend.

For carrot ginger slaw, combine all ingredients, stirring to blend.

Serve meatballs over carrot ginger slaw, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment