Thursday, September 6, 2012

Buffalo Cauliflower




When I was younger I used to HATE buffalo chicken. I thought it smelled terrible, and tasted even worse. I didn't even want to be around it, so I avoided the the "let's go get wings" invitations from my friends.

It was kind of strange, but my aversion to buffalo wings disappeared over night when I was a sophomore in college. I was working in a steakhouse that served boneless wings as a appetizer, and one day I found myself craving them, so I ordered a plate. Suddenly, I couldn't get enough. I put buffalo sauce on everything now, from wings, to french fries, to mixing it with my salad dressing.

David and I are both on Weight Watchers, so I am always trying to find healthy, (and gluten-free!) versions of our favorite foods. When I found a recipe for buffalo cauliflower I knew it would be a great alternative to the fried, greasy wings that David and I love so much!

My husband was a little wary when I told him what I was making, but he wound up eating his portion, and the portion that I made for him to take for lunch tomorrow.

1 head of cauliflower, chopped into bite size pieces. (I took the lazy approach and used a bag of frozen cauliflower)
1 cup gluten-free flour
1 cup water
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
salt to taste
1 cup buffalo sauce (I use Frank's Red Hot)
1 tbsp margarine

preheat oven to 450 degrees

In a bowl, combine water, flour, garlic, and salt. Dunk cauliflower in mixture to coat, and place in a shallow baking dish. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, while cauliflower is baking, combine buffalo sauce and margarine in a separate bowl. Remove cauliflower from oven, and toss in sauce to coat. Return cauliflower to baking dish, and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes.

I served mine with celery sticks and Bolthouse Farm's yogurt ranch dressing. If you prefer blue cheese, make sure you get a gluten free version, as blue cheese sometimes has gluten!

No comments:

Post a Comment