Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Slow Cooker Chianti Beef Over Polenta



Back in January David and I went on a cruise to the Bahamas with his family. It was my first time on a cruise, and my first time leaving the country. It was a wonderful experience. There was so much to do on board, from pools with water slides, to bars, to cooking classes. It was only a 4 day trip, but we packed in so many activities that by our last day we were exhausted. We decided that going to one of the on board restaurants for a romantic dinner would be a great last activity.

The restaurant that we chose was an Italian restaurant, and for a flat fee we could order as many courses as we wanted. It was hard to narrow down our choices, but after some debate we made our selection. One of the appetizers I chose was a Chianti braised beef ravioli. I am not the biggest ravioli fan, but this was AMAZING! It ranks pretty high on my list of the best foods I have ever had. To be honest, I don't really remember anything else that we ordered, it was that good.

Last night David and I were talking about the cruise, and the possibility of going on another one. I said that the first thing I would do would be return to that restaurant and order that ravioli. Then, I had the crushing revelation that I won't be able to. David, seeing the disappointment on my face, suggested that I try to recreate the dish at home.

I spent some time googling recipes, and learned that Chianti braised beef is a pretty common Italian dish, typically served over polenta (which is usually gluten-free)!

Beef rump roast approx 2 lbs
2 cups Chianti
1 1/2 cups broth or water (I used vegetable, because I had it on hand)
1 cup chopped onions
1 pack sliced white mushrooms
3 carrots
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
salt and pepper

1 pack polenta
2 tbsp olive oil

In a crock pot, combine all ingredients, minus the olive oil and polenta. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, until beef  is tender and can be pulled apart with a fork.

Slice polenta in to 1/2 to 1 inch thick slices. In a frying pan, warm oil over medium heat. Add polenta slices, and lightly fry, flipping, until both sides are golden brown.

Remove polenta to bowl, and top with beef mixture, spooning broth on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment