Sunday, September 9, 2012

Polenta Topped with Goat Cheese and a Mushroom Cream Sauce



A restaurant by where I used to live served this dish. It was quaint little wine bar, with an awesome patio. It was ideal to go there in the summer, and order a bottle of wine, and polenta with mushrooms and goat cheese. The dish is a great blend of creamy and earthy, sweet from the polenta, and tangy from the goat cheese.

I cannot eat this dish any more, because it has flour in it. I decided to try to recreate it at home, so that I don't have to miss out yet another one of my favorite things.

I used white mushrooms, since the grocery store was sold out of portobello, but I would suggest using portobello if you can get them. The Greek yogurt caused the sauce to separate, but I wanted to save some calories by not using heavy cream. It still tasted great, it just didn't look as pretty.

It turned out to be really close to the dish I was trying to recreate, which makes me very happy!

1 pack of polenta cut into 1 inch slices
2 tbsp olive oil
1 pack sliced portobello mushrooms
2 tbsp butter
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup white wine
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup chopped white onion
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1 pack goat cheese, cut into crumbles
salt and pepper to taste

In a sauce pan, melt butter, and add mushrooms, stirring occasionally until tender. add onions and garlic, again cooking until tender. reduce heat to low, and add broth, Greek yogurt, salt, and pepper, stirring occasionally, until hot.

Meanwhile, heat oil in frying pan over medium heat. add polenta slices, and lightly fry, flipping, until both sides are golden.

remove from pan, blot off oil, and spoon on mushroom sauce, and top with goat cheese crumbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment