Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Syrup



My husband loves pumpkin. Pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin beer. Once the temperature starts to cool down a little he starts planning all the pumpkin treats he is going to be having in the coming months.

One of his favorite fall drinks is a pumpkin spiced latte. Last weekend we were at target, and walked past a Starbucks kiosk, and he lost it when he realized they finally had pumpkin spice lattes back. He drank two in the short time we were there shopping.

David has been working a lot, this past week he has only come home to sleep before heading back to the office. Whenever he is working this hard I like to make little treats for him. I decided to make pumpkin syrup, so that he can enjoy a latte in the morning.

1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup water
3 tbsp pumpkin puree
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
4 cinnamon sticks

In a saucepan heat sugar and water over medium heat, stirring occasional until sugar dissolves. Add cinnamon, spices, and pumpkin, whisking continuously for approx 5 min, taking care to not let the mixture boil. Remove from heat, and let sit for 10 - 15 min. Strain syrup through cheesecloth, or a fine wire mesh strainer. (My husband likes the pulpy pumpkin bits, so I don't strain it, I just remove the cinnamon sticks).

I am not going to lie, I don't drink coffee, I don't even know how to use the coffee maker. My husband is not home to make a latte, so I will have to update you when he is around!

Keep refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment