Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Cabbage Roll Casserole



In the past few days the temperature outside when from the high eighties to the sixties. It is slowly turning into fall, which puts me in the mood for comfort food. I was mentally running through my list of favorite comfort foods, when I thought of cabbage rolls. As soon as that thought crossed my mind I developed a craving, but I didn't want to go to all the work of making them. So I decided to make a cabbage roll casserole for dinner.

I am all about taking shortcuts to save time, especially on days where I don't have too much time to prepare dinner. This meal is a perfect shortcut, it has the same flavors, with half the effort. It is the perfect dish to help me come to terms with the end of summer.

1 pack ground turkey
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 cup brown rice (instant)
3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a skillet over medium heat combine onions, garlic, and ground turkey, stirring occasionally until halfway cooked. Add brown rice, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until meat is browned. Add diced tomatoes, and vinegar, stirring until tomatoes are warmed. Drain excess liquid.

Add meat combination to a casserole dish. Evenly top with 1/2 can of tomato sauce. Add cabbage, and again top with tomato sauce. Add salt and pepper, and top with shredded mozzarella.

Put pan in oven and bake for 30 min, until cheese is melted, and casserole is warmed through.

No comments:

Post a Comment